Welcome to the website of the Allgemeine Verbraucherschlichtungsstelle (“General Consumer Dispute Resolution Body”)!

As a neutral dispute resolution body, we help consumers and traders to settle disputes out of court. With this voluntary procedure, we would like to contribute to a simple and quick resolution of disputes between consumers and traders.

What do we do?

We can deal with disputes which consumers bring to us who reside in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway against traders based in Germany.

Only consumers can apply to our services. Their dispute must concern a consumer contract (or the existence of a consumer contract).

Our dispute resolution body is a so-called "residual ADR” (Alternative Dispute Resolution). You can file a complaint with us if there is no sector specific ADR body that can deal with it.

What do we not do?

We do not deal with disputes concerning employment contracts. Furthermore, certain disputes are excluded, such as

  • disputes deriving from contracts on non-economic services of general interest
  • health care services
  • further and higher education by public providers

Please note that we are not competent for disputes for the resolution of which other consumer dispute resolution entities are recognised, commissioned or established under other legal provisions.

Who are we?

The Allgemeine Verbraucherschlichtungsstelle was established in 2016 as part of the Consumer Dispute Resolution Act (abbreviated in German: VSBG) and officially recognised by the Federal Office of Justice.

Please note that we are not a consumer association. We do not offer legal advice and do not represent traders or consumers. We serve as a neutral mediator between the parties.

The Allgemeine Verbraucherschlichtungsstelle is run by the Zentrum für Schlichtung e.V. (Centre for Conciliation).

Further reading

What are the fees?

The procedure is free of charge for consumers. Only in exceptional cases the dispute resolution body can impose a fee of EUR 30, if the application must be considered as abusive.
For traders, the fee is based on our cost regulations.

Which languages do we speak?

The procedure will be conducted in German. You can also write to us and call us using French and English.

How can I submit a complaint?

You can fill out our complaint form in German by clicking on the blue button "Antrag einreichen" on the right or write us an e-mail or a letter. You may also get help from an European Consumer Centre (see below).

How can you contact us?

You can also contact us by e-mail at mail@verbraucher-schlichter.de. You can reach us by post and in person (during the opening and business hours) at the following address:

Allgemeine Verbraucherschlichtungsstelle des Zentrums für Schlichtung e.V.
Straßburger Straße 8
77694 Kehl

You can call us at 0049 7851 795 79 40 or send a fax to 0049 7851 795 79 41.   

I need assistance

Consumers from the European Union, Iceland and Norway can contact the European Con-sumer Centre in their country for assistance.

The ECC provides information on consumer rights and assists in resolving disputes when the consumer and trader involved are based in two different countries of the EU (plus Iceland and Norway).

The contact details of your consumer centre can be found at https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/consumers/resolve-your-consumer-complaint/european-consumer-centres-network_en

Other ADR bodies

Dispute resolution bodies in the European Economic Area (EU plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) conforming directive 2013/11/EU can be found on the European Commissions ODR Platform.